Your essay should be themed, but not limited to, this question:
“What are the benefits of forest management for the forest and for the community?”
We encourage you to get creative with this essay. Do some research and write your opinion, write a story you learned in the process, write about the O&C lands, or write about the history and how it has affected Oregon.
Learn, write, and be creative.
What we will be looking for:
- How well the essay is written.
- The essay shows relevant and adequate facts and research.
- A creative spin on our broad question.
You must hold interviews, either in person or over the phone, with three people who are connected to or involved in natural resources. Examples are:
- A surveyor
- A log truck driver
- A wildlife biologist
- A forester
- A sawmill worker
- A logger
- A wild lands fire fighter
- Someone involved in renewable resources
- An environmental lawyer or lobbyist (with relevance to forestry)
- Someone who has been personally affected by Oregon’s minimal timber harvest on government land
- Someone with relevance to the Canadian tax tariff
- Any person in one of these fields who is retired would be a great choice*
Please do not feel overwhelmed if these terms are all new to you. We are advocating education all around. Our greatest hope is that in this process, you will learn.
We must ask that you please not contact Seneca for interviews. -Thank you.
***Your essay should be 5-10 pages, double spaced. Please do not exceed 10 pages.***
Essay must be submitted electronically by midnight Pacific Time on March 1, 2018.